Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Nehemiah's Resolve

Nehemiah 6:1-4 (NLT)

Sanballat, Tobiah, Geshem the Arab, and the rest of our enemies found out that I had finished rebuilding the wall and that no gaps remained—though we had not yet set up the doors in the gates. So Sanballat and Geshem sent a message asking me to meet them at one of the villages[a] in the plain of Ono.But I realized they were plotting to harm me, so I replied by sending this message to them: “I am engaged in a great work, so I can’t come. Why should I stop working to come and meet with you?”Four times they sent the same message, and each time I gave the same reply.

I hope you are taking time to read the entire chapter each day and not just the passage I post, because I know there are many more things to be gleaned than what simply stands out to me. I don't want you to miss exactly what the Lord has for you in His Word.
The thing that stands out most to me is Nehemiah's resolve. In fact, I almost titled this blog "Nehemiah's Opposition," but I realized that was to focus on the negative and I want to focus on the positive. Nehemiah was resolved not to be threatened or intimidated by the opposition. He did not stop to listen to the opposition.  He did not slow down or make time for the opposition. He did not give credit to the opposition. Nehemiah stayed the course. He focused and worked even harder on the task of completing the wall. The Voice he heard was stronger than the voice of his enemies. God gave Nehemiah discernment to recognize the attacks and schemes of the enemy.
Application? Well, what is intimidating you today? It might me time for you and me, too, to call it what it is..."the voice of the enemy." Is it time we stop listening, stop making time, and stop giving credit to our opposition? We can ask God to forgive us for letting our enemy interrupt our pursuit of accomplishing His will and we can ask for a fresh resolve. It's okay to pray something like, "Father, I know you gave me the plan long ago and I've gotten side tracked. Would you reaffirm your plan and help me get back to work?" He is eager for us to be in His will. He will answer your prayer!
Friend, the more I type, the more I sense this is personal for some. Let me say this...the Lord does have plans for you. Maybe that seems foreign to you right now, but do not be discouraged. Ask Him with all your heart to show you. Ask Him even today to direct your steps and make you aware of His plan for you this day. You are not cast off. He will use you for something bigger than yourself. Be careful of looking for it to be big in the eyes of others for God's perspective is different than our human perspective. What we think is glorious and what God considers glorious are very different things. I love being on this journey with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment