Friday, May 3, 2013

Not for Condemnation, but for Salvation


John 3:16-17

English Standard Version (ESV)

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.


About 25 years ago, my father-in-law had a conversation with my dad about Christ. My father-in-law later explained to us that my dad felt he could not be saved because he had committed too many sins. I had several conversations with my dad about Christ after that time, but to our knowledge, he never surrendered his life to Jesus.
I have had John 3:17, turning over and over in my mind for several days now. It hasn't been clear to me until just now, but my dad thought he would find condemnation in Jesus. He did not understand that he would find unconditional love. Jesus came for sinners such as I...such as my dad...such as you.
So what now? How does all of this apply to us today?
First, if you have never surrendered your life to Jesus, you need to know He is not sitting on His throne waiting to pass judgement on you and turn you away. Jesus offers the precious, free gift of salvation and freedom from your sins. He went to the cross to pay the penalty for your sins so you don't have to. Second, for those who already have a relationship with Jesus, we need to be sure we are passing along God's love and the truth of His salvation, rather than condemnation. We need to be careful not to give the impression that some sins just don't qualify for forgiveness. We certainly need to be cautious not to appear to rejoice when someone of criminal character is banished to eternal separation from God. God isn't willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment