Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday in the Psalms (Psalm 16)


Psalm 16 (NLT)

A psalm of David.

Keep me safe, O God,
    for I have come to you for refuge.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
    Every good thing I have comes from you.”
The godly people in the land
    are my true heroes!
    I take pleasure in them!
Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
    I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
    or even speak the names of their gods.
Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
    You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
    What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the Lord who guides me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
    I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
    My body rests in safety.
10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead
    or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
11 You will show me the way of life,
    granting me the joy of your presence
    and the pleasures of living with you forever

Can you hear David's contentment in this Psalm? He asks for "safety" in verse 1, but in verse 9, he is certain of it. He knows beyond any doubt that safety is found in God, his refuge. David is not tempted to run after other gods to find security. His assurance rests in knowing God is his inheritance. His insurance, so to speak, is in having God guard all that belongs to him. We buy insurance policies to protect our valuables and to provide for those we love in the event of accident or tragedy. In Christ Jesus, we have all the insurance...all the assurance we need for the security of our soul. We can rest in whatever situation we find ourselves knowing that the safety of our soul will never be violated. Our inheritance remains secure. We will never again know the absence of Christ's presence. He is showing us the way of eternal life. We are free to live life to the fullest knowing our HOPE rests in the promise of living with Him forever. Who do you know who needs to be reminded of the contentment we have in Christ? Who do you know who needs to know about the hope for our souls that is found in Jesus?

Lord, open our eyes to see those who need a word of hope today.

For further study, notice the reference to Jesus' resurrection in verse 10. See Acts 2 where Peter refers to this passage and Acts 13 where Paul refers to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment