Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday in the Psalms (Psalm 62)


Psalm 62 (NLT)

For Jeduthun, the choir director: A psalm of David.

I wait quietly before God,
    for my victory comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will never be shaken.
So many enemies against one man—
    all of them trying to kill me.
To them I’m just a broken-down wall
    or a tottering fence.
They plan to topple me from my high position.
    They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
    but curse me in their hearts. Interlude
Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
    He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
    Pour out your heart to him,
    for God is our refuge. Interlude

I hope you are enjoying Saturday in the Psalms each week. One reason I enjoy the Psalms so much is that I enjoy writing in a journal. Reading the Psalms is for me like getting to read someone's journal....in this case, David's. In this particular Psalm, David reminds us that God is our rock, salvation, fortress, hope, victory, and refuge. Look at the victories he claims in being able to still himself and wait quietly for the Lord. First, he says he will not be shaken and then, no enemy can reach him. What are the enemies of your soul that lie about you, try to destroy you, topple you, and break you down? Enemies might be whispers of Satan condemning you for your sinful past, unforgiveness for past hurts inflicted by someone who was supposed to love you, difficult family relationships, financial struggles...this list could go on and on and certainly includes whatever is trying to steal your victory today. Our victory isn't circumstantial. It is found in Christ Jesus our Lord because of His sacrifice on our behalf. David was able to wait quietly for the Lord trusting in Him for victory. Waiting quietly isn't always easy. Maybe that's where the "pouring out our heart" part comes in. Instead of taking on our enemies ourselves and waging a war we are unfit to fight, let's learn to take our struggles to Jesus, pour out our hearts to Him, and then wait quietly in Him our Rock, our Fortress, Our Salvation.
For further study consider reading verses 9-12 of this Psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment