Thursday, March 21, 2013

Guest Blog by Janice Gleason


Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I had a dream, and no one can interpret it.  But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.”  “I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to Pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”  Genesis 41:15-16
Joseph’s reply to Pharaoh’s compliment convicts me deeply.  My reaction would have been to immediately answer Pharaoh out of the “wealth” of knowledge I possess.  I wouldn’t have hesitated to analyze it from every angle current to my life.  Or speculate as to what had happened in his life to cause this dream.  Or even give him a personality test to help him figure out the deeper issues going on, for obviously he would have deeper issues than just what he was saying on the surface.  In fact, I would have gladly given him the personality test and then relayed to him the results from my certainty that I knew what was going on deep inside his heart.
But Joseph simply replied, “Pharaoh, I don’t have a clue… I just don’t know but I know the One Who does…let’s ask Him.”  Thus in beautiful humility, Joseph seized an opportunity to introduce this pagan Pharaoh, who worshipped many gods, to the One True God.
Oh, LORD forgive me for thinking I have all the answers to everyone’s deep concerns or life issues.  You have used these two little verses to convict me. I am a foolish woman.  Help me to steer them to You and Your Word first.  I know I have missed many opportunities to simply direct them on to You instead of leaving them with me and my human ideas.  It’s a pride issue for me, that begins in my heart and spews out of my mouth…guard my tongue for I cannot control it without Your help.  Thank you, LORD.
“For the word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates [like a scalpel in the hands of a skilled surgeon] even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight.  Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to Whom we must give account [my pride is laid bare before You].”  Hebrews 4:12-13
“Let us then approach the throne of GRACE with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need…a timely help.” Hebrews 4:16

No comments:

Post a Comment