Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jesus Tells the Guys the Plan


Matthew 26:31-35 (NLT)

Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial

31 On the way, Jesus told them, “Tonight all of you will desert me. For the Scriptures say,
‘God will strike the Shepherd,
    and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
32 But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there.”
33 Peter declared, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.”
34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.”
35 “No!” Peter insisted. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the other disciples vowed the same.

This passage is entitled "Jesus Predicts Peter's Denial," but after reading it today, I think it deserves a subtitle, "Jesus tells the guys the plan." I've never seen it as clearly before. Maybe because I was so focused on Peter. In verse 31, Jesus says they will all desert him which gears us up for Peter's declarations to remain faithful even unto death. But look at v. 32...the plan is clearly stated..."After I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there." Okay, first of all if I were a disciple, I would be very grateful for that last minute reminder about the "raised from the dead" part. That would be extremely good to know in the next 24 hours. I love how Jesus goes ahead and gives a longer view. The plan is: He will meet them in Galilee and He's going to be there waiting for them. What comfort! I wonder how many times they thought of His words. Did they remember them when He was arrested, when they scattered, when He was on the cross, when His body was sealed in the tomb? At what point did they each think, "Just get through this and then make haste Galilee for He will be waiting for me there." I don't know about you friend, but I need to know there is a longer view from Jesus perspective than from mine. I need to be able to cling to His plan and rest in it. I can trust that when I get through the periods of loneliness, heartache, sorrow, loss of job, financial stress, or anything else, He has a plan for what's on the other side. He's going ahead of me and He is going to meet me there. Weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning!

Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment