Monday, March 25, 2013

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem...


Matthew 23:37-39 (NLT)

Jesus Grieves over Jerusalem

37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me. 38 And now, look, your house is abandoned and desolate. 39 For I tell you this, you will never see me again until you say, ‘Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

Jesus' heart of love for the people of Israel shines brightly in these verses..."I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen..." These are the same people God Himself spoke of in Genesis 12 saying, "I will make of you a great nation." They are the same people who turned to idols over and over as recorded in the Old Testament, whom He continued to pursue and call back to Himself, "I will win her back once again, I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her there." (Hosea 2:14) These are the people for whom He had come..."For God so loved the world, that He sent His only begotten Son."(John 3:16)  He knew them for He created them and yet, the creation refused the Creator, "but you wouldn't let me." This breaks my heart, but I know that like them I have ignored Him. He would like to be my protector, but I choose time and time again to stand in my own strength rather than be gathered in to Him.  The great thing is: His heart has not changed. He still loves. He still pursues. He still longs to gather people to Himself. Easter is a wonderful time to share with others Christ's redemptive plan for the nations. It is wonderful time to share His redemptive plan for _________. To whom is He sending you? Will you share with them how you came to know Jesus and how they can too?

No comments:

Post a Comment