Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Standing on the Promises


Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.
Refrain
Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
I’m standing on the promises of God.
Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.
Refrain
Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.
Refrain

I am struck by Russell Kelso Carter's words. I wonder what his "howling storms and fears" were at that time. Was he thinking of his call out of teaching into the ministry or even scarier, his call out of the ministry to become a doctor? I was encouraged in my spirit to be sure I was actually standing on God's promises and not just aware of them. Knowing them isn't enough, memorizing them isn't enough, quoting them isn't enough... I actually have to stand on them. I want to put my faith in the One who voiced the promises. I want to trust Him for He is faithful. I want to search His Word and seek His promises for me. I want to take them in, know them, recall them and trust them when storms of doubt and fear assail me. 
Assail means to attack physically or violently; to attack with arguments, questions, or doubt. Dear friend, what assails you? Will you choose to stand firm on His promises today? Ask Him to show you His specific promise for your specific need. 

56 "Blessed be the Lord who has given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised. Not one word has failed of all his good promise, which he spoke by Moses his servant." I Kings 8:56(ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment