Thursday, March 7, 2013

When I am afraid...


John 14:26-27 (ESV)

26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

When I was in college a friend of mine used to say I had phobia-phobia(I'm sure there is a more scientific name for it)...the fear of being afraid. Not that I was actually scared, but that I was afraid someone would scare me. I do not like to be scared. My oldest daughter is the same way...she always told us if she got out of bed in the night....not because she wanted us to know where she was, but because she was afraid we would get up to check on her and scare her in the process. It's amazing how easily fear can get a grip on us. For example, how many times have you planned the trip to the hospital or the funeral because your husband or kids were a little late getting home. And doesn't night time seem to be the worst? In the night, I am easily convinced there is no hope. It seems if I can make it until morning, I can gain a better perspective and won't be quiet so worried. In our minds, almost anything can be turned in to a fear. Fears are serious, because they paralyze us. They hold us back from the peace God intends for us. They inhibit our faith and cause us not to be able to think clearly.
What are your 3 biggest fears today?
1.
2.
3.
Over and over in the Old Testament and the New, we are told not to be afraid, but to trust in God. He has equipped us for this time here on earth, by giving us His Holy Spirit. It is His precious Spirit who is able to comfort us and give us peace of mind and heart if only we are willing to trust Him. He will remind us of all the truth we have learned from God's Word. The next time you find yourself awake fretting in the night, will you call out to Him?
Dear Spirit, speak your truth over my situation. Give me your perspective. Help me to trust that you are sovereign and your plans for me are best. Help me to lean on you when I am unsure, worried, or afraid! 
For further study, read Psalm 56.

No comments:

Post a Comment