Monday, July 22, 2013

Needy in Every Day

So sorry for not posting the past few days...even though Michael was writing, I got so busy I couldn't even get them posted. Enjoy these next couple days of his blogs and I will be back with you all later this week. ~Christy
1 Peter 4:7-11 (ESV)
The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers. Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.  To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
 My Father, another day is upon us, new opportunity dawning with it. I wonder this morning over all you’ve had written in your book from age to age for this day (Psalm 139:16). Waking and leaving my bed sometimes feels like how it must feel to step from the safety of a ledge to a tightrope, exhilarating but terrifying. I feel that way today.
 It’s exhilarating to think about the chance to serve today—the opportunities you’ve planned for serving you by serving others. Of all the evidence I can see and touch, maybe it’s these practical daily doors for ministering that best prove your grace. Each seems to come with its own distinct sign indicating what’ll be needed in walking through, whether love or unselfish hospitality, or another of the great gifts you’ve bestowed in your Son. You have made us stewards to dispense your grace. There is no greater privilege, Father!
 It’s terrifying for me, though, because I know how pathetic my service can be. It isn’t that I don’t know how much is at stake at each doorway. I know how short time is in this age, Father, that Jesus could appear at any moment, and I know well how serving someone today can have spiritual impact on them. I’m just so prone to weak shortsightedness; self-control and sober-mindedness feel so elusive at times, among the first losses when spiritual strength has dried up. There is a strength that only you provide for serving, Father. Without it I am but a religious activist attempting great things all on my own, and I never see how futile this is until too far after the attempt. I don’t want to fail someone I’d attempt to serve, or miss yet another open doorway altogether. Please… I’m desperate to be filled today with your Spirit so I can have eyes to see, faith to walk through what doors you open, giftedness ready to be wielded for your honor, and strength to finish whatever is started.
 Father, today I so want bringing you glory to be all that matters, trusting that on the other side of this you’ll cause all things to fall where they should…
 …I come asking for today’s sufficient grace, and now I go… in Jesus’ name…

 …Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment