Sunday, July 28, 2013

Psalm 119, Stanza 1

Psalm 119:1-8(NLT)

Aleph

1 Joyful are people of integrity,
    who follow the instructions of the Lord.
2 Joyful are those who obey his laws
    and search for him with all their hearts.
3 They do not compromise with evil,
    and they walk only in his paths.
4 You have charged us
    to keep your commandments carefully.
5 Oh, that my actions would consistently
    reflect your decrees!
6 Then I will not be ashamed
    when I compare my life with your commands.
7 As I learn your righteous regulations,
    I will thank you by living as I should!
8 I will obey your decrees.
    Please don’t give up on me!
It occurred to me when I read these verses how easily "integrity" can be compromised. The integrity spoken of here is grounded in the Lord. I question whether or not true integrity, adherence to moral and ethical principles, can be attained apart from Christ. There is a particular situation in my life in which I desire to maintain Christ-like integrity. Like the Psalmist, I pray that my actions would consistently reflect the Lord's decrees. I know there are times I have faltered. It helps to fix my gaze back on the Word. 
~ People of integrity have joy.
~ They follow the Lord's instructions.
~ They obey His laws.
~ They search for Him with all their hearts.
~ They do not compromise with evil.
~ They walk only in the Lord's paths.
It's in the Psalmist's prayer that I am reminded to slow down...in order to carefully keep His commandments, I must carefully examine each situation, encounter, or trial and then, determine my actions so they match His decrees. I am encouraged by the fact that my Lord knows I am still learning. I have never been in this place before...it is new ground for me. Lord, please don't give up on me. I trust you will continue to reveal your truth to me and I will thank you by living as I should.  

No comments:

Post a Comment