Sunday, July 28, 2013

Psalm 119, Stanza 1

Psalm 119:1-8(NLT)

Aleph

Joyful are people of integrity,
    who follow the instructions of the Lord.
Joyful are those who obey his laws
    and search for him with all their hearts.
They do not compromise with evil,
    and they walk only in his paths.
You have charged us
    to keep your commandments carefully.
Oh, that my actions would consistently
    reflect your decrees!
Then I will not be ashamed
    when I compare my life with your commands.
As I learn your righteous regulations,
    I will thank you by living as I should!
I will obey your decrees.
    Please don’t give up on me!
It occurred to me when I read these verses how easily "integrity" can be compromised. The integrity spoken of here is grounded in the Lord. I question whether or not true integrity, adherence to moral and ethical principles, can be attained apart from Christ. There is a particular situation in my life in which I desire to maintain Christ-like integrity. Like the Psalmist, I pray that my actions would consistently reflect the Lord's decrees. I know there are times I have faltered. It helps to fix my gaze back on the Word. 
~ People of integrity have joy.
~ They follow the Lord's instructions.
~ They obey His laws.
~ They search for Him with all their hearts.
~ They do not compromise with evil.
~ They walk only in the Lord's paths.
It's in the Psalmist's prayer that I am reminded to slow down...in order to carefully keep His commandments, I must carefully examine each situation, encounter, or trial and then, determine my actions so they match His decrees. I am encouraged by the fact that my Lord knows I am still learning. I have never been in this place before...it is new ground for me. Lord, please don't give up on me. I trust you will continue to reveal your truth to me and I will thank you by living as I should.  

No comments:

Post a Comment