Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Emergency Mode


Isaiah 43:1-4

English Standard Version (ESV)

Israel's Only Savior

43 But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.


I awakened at 2:58AM to the faint sound of an ambulance siren in the distance. As I lay warm in my  bed, I prayed for the person who was being rushed to the hospital and thought about how all of a sudden their lives had been thrown into emergency mode. Then my thoughts turned to all of you and me. We don't have any idea what red lights and sirens might interrupt our otherwise peaceful day today. Emergency mode isn't always loud and flashy.  It might come in the form of a phone call or text message from a brokenhearted suffering friend or a prayer request whispered in your Sunday School class. Emergency mode kicks in at that moment when we become aware and therefore involved in something serious that has taken center stage in our own life or someone else's. I'm reminded of the parable Jesus told of the good Samaritan. Suddenly, the Samaritan's life was in emergency mode. He had wounds to bind, care to seek, and provision to make for this man he did not even know. This story is a parable told by Jesus to make a point, but the Bible is full of real life examples of people who found themselves launched into emergency mode and one thing the Word makes clear every time is the Lord always knew and was always present. Isn't that the comfort for us, friend? He doesn't leave us or forsake us(Deut. 31:8). He upholds us by his righteous right hand(Is.41:10). When I feel things are getting out of control, I envision HIS hand steadying me, holding me safe and secure, keeping my foot from stumbling, breaking my fall, drawing me to Himself. Regardless of what we face this day, let us trust these truths...



No comments:

Post a Comment