Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thirsty?


Psalm 143:1-6 English Standard Version (ESV)

A Psalm of David.
143 Hear my prayer, O Lord;
    give ear to my pleas for mercy!
    In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!
Enter not into judgment with your servant,
    for no one living is righteous before you.
For the enemy has pursued my soul;
    he has crushed my life to the ground;
    he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead.
Therefore my spirit faints within me;
    my heart within me is appalled.
I remember the days of old;
    I meditate on all that you have done;
    I ponder the work of your hands.
I stretch out my hands to you;
    my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah

When have you been desperate to be heard by God?
When have you felt the weight of your own guilt?
When has your enemy chased you and knocked you to the ground?
When have you felt as though you were living in the darkness?
When has all hope seemed lost?
When have you been paralyzed with fear?

As close as David was to the Lord, he still went through times when the Lord felt far away...times when he felt dry and he craved the Lord. In what area of your life are thirsty for the Lord? Will you as David did lift your hands to him in prayer? Will you hold his written word in your hands and let its testimony of his faithfulness and righteousness feed your soul? Ps. 107:9 says "For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things." I challenge us to be honest before him, maybe even kneel before him, and let him come and satisfy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment