Thursday, January 10, 2013

Peace that Passes Understanding

Philippians 4:4-7

English Standard Version (ESV)
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God,which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
It's always a blessing to be together in God's Word. I'm excited for us to contemplate these verses together. I hope you'll post your comments below.
Let's pick out the action words involving us:
Rejoice in the Lord. 
Be reasonable.
Don't be anxious.
Pray.
In turn look what God's action is: His peace is going to guard our hearts and our minds beyond what we can understand. 
Amazing!!! Start rejoicing in Him, act reasonably not anxiously(my family and friends are gonna love this), and pray about everything. Then, His peace will come not just in my heart, but also in my mind. Many times I have said, "Deep down I know everything is going to be ok" indicating that my heart knows, but my mind isn't so sure. Friends, this verse says we will have His peace in our minds too. Worry happens in our minds when we replay things over and over. Let's put forth effort to "rejoice" in all the good things we know about our LORD like how He loved us so much He sent Jesus, how Jesus was obedient to go to the cross to pay for our redemption, how He's right now preparing a place for us His children to be with Him in eternity, how one day He's coming back for us as v. 5 says "the LORD is at hand." This list could go on and on. We have much to rejoice about! What about acting reasonably? I need to stop focusing on myself and consider others. Am I sweetly reasonable? Yikes! And instead of being anxious/worried/concerned, I need to pray and submit it all to Him, the sovereign Lord. Then, just like the scripture says "His peace will come over my heart and my mind."
I pray today that you and I will follow His plan and know HIS peace that passes all understanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment