Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Be Still


Psalm 46:10 (ESV)

10 “Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”

Sometimes, I have trouble being still. Do you? It's hard to sit still and get focused. I can always think of one more thing to do. I like to check things off on my list. I've heard friends say and I'm guilty, too, of writing things I've already done on the list for the satisfaction of checking them off. I think I've mellowed a little, but back in the day when my kids were younger, I would stay up way past everyone else to get a few more things on the list done. Over the years, I've come to realize the value of some down time. I need some time each day when I escape the busyness and focus all my thoughts on the Lord. I need my quiet time. Yes, it's hard to come by everyday, but it so worth it when we make starting our day with the Lord a priority. I also love a minute in the evening with Him before bed. Meet Me in the Lamplight is the fruit of those times with the Lord.
I love what A.W. Tozer says about our verse in his book, The Pursuit of God,
It is important that we get still to wait on God. And it is best that we get alone, preferably with our Bible outspread before us. Then if we will we may draw near to God and begin to hear Him speak to us in our hearts. I think for the average person the progression will be something like this: First a sound as of a Presence walking in the garden. Then a Voice, more intelligible, but still far from clear. Then the happy moment when the Spirit begins to illuminate the Scriptures, and that which had been only a sound, or at best a voice, now becomes an intelligible word, warm and intimate and clear as the word of a dear friend. Then will come life and light, and best of all ability to see and rest in and embrace Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and All.
I want these kinds of experiences with my Lord. Don't you? When's the last time you had time alone with Him...just you, your Lord and His Word? He's waiting for you. Those things on your list will keep for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment