Monday, April 15, 2013

You are My God


Joshua 24:16-18 (ESV)

16 Then the people answered, “Far be it from us that we should forsake the Lord to serve other gods, 17 for it is the Lord our God who brought us and our fathers up from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, and who did those great signs in our sight and preserved us in all the way that we went, and among all the peoples through whom we passed. 18 And the Lord drove out before us all the peoples, the Amorites who lived in the land. Therefore we also will serve the Lord, for he is our God.”

My eyes fell on this passage yesterday morning as our pastor was preaching from the passage above it. I particularly noticed the things the children of Israel recognized the Lord for doing in their lives. I personalized them on my paper as follows:
~ You brought me out.
~ You set me free.
~ You performed great signs.
~ You preserved me.
~ You drove out my enemy.
Therefore, I will serve You, for You are my God!
Once I had all these things written out, I realized He had done all of these for me through Jesus. Which of these do you need to claim today? Can you think of New Testament verses that point to Jesus for all of these things? Joshua went on to challenge the people to be sincere in their commitment and put away all their foreign gods. We, too, can make the mistake of letting something else or someone else become our focus taking our eyes off Jesus. Let's remember all these things He has done, ask forgiveness where we have lost sight of Him, and refocus our attention on our Redeemer!

No comments:

Post a Comment