Sunday, April 28, 2013

No need to fear. No need to dread.


Isaiah 41:10 (ESV)

10 fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

In 1975, the town I grew up in was hit by a tornado. One of the local elementary schools was damaged and I remember my dad taking my mom and me to my grandparents' house to stay while he went to help the victims. I was five years old and a lover of baby dolls. My mom let me pack all my dolls in a huge black garbage bag and bring them with me. Once we were at my grandparents' house, I lined them up beside each other the entire length of my grandma's brown vinyl couch. I remember making sure they knew they were safe. I remember the security of knowing I was safe there with my mom and grandparents.
I know I have used today's verse in blogs before when speaking of our Lord upholding us with His righteous right hand. This week I read it and was struck by the first part of the verse. "Do not fear. Do  not be dismayed." We are dismayed when we are upset or alarmed, or when we lose our courage or resolution because of dread or apprehension. I admit sometimes I become afraid and lose my courage. The prophet Isaiah penned God's words to me. He is my God. He will strengthen me. He will help me. He will uphold me with His righteous right hand.
Is there something you are facing right now that is creating dread or apprehension? Just like when I took time to carefully gather every baby doll and carry them to safety, you can trust that the God, who would leave the ninety-nine sheep to go after one, is aware of your situation. No need to fear. No need to dread for He is your God. He will strengthen you where you are weak. He will help you. You do not have to possess all of the ability that is required. He will hold you up. You can rest knowing you are safe in Him! For further study and more encouragement, consider reading all of Is. 41.

No comments:

Post a Comment