Thursday, April 11, 2013

Martha's Confidence


John 11:17-27 (NLT)

17 When Jesus arrived at Bethany, he was told that Lazarus had already been in his grave for four days. 18 Bethany was only a few miles down the road from Jerusalem, 19 and many of the people had come to console Martha and Mary in their loss. 20 When Martha got word that Jesus was coming, she went to meet him. But Mary stayed in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask.”
23 Jesus told her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24 “Yes,” Martha said, “he will rise when everyone else rises, at the last day.”
25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. 26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”
27 “Yes, Lord,” she told him. “I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God.”

Every time I read this passage, my heart goes out to Martha. I understand. I would have felt just like her...so very hopeful for the return of Jesus in time to save Lazarus' life. She and Mary had seen Him perform healing miracles. They knew He was able, but He did not come. Also like Martha, I would have jumped up and gone out to meet Him on the road. She wanted Him to hear her. I love her confidence in Jesus. "Even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask."
Is there a situation in your life today that you think Jesus didn't show up in time to heal? Do you feel like all hope is lost? Have you given up? Is it dead as far as you are concerned? Have you buried it? Does the grave stink too much to open it? Jesus isn't intimidated by any of those things. Can you muster the faith to say like Martha, "Even now I know that God will you give you whatever you ask"? Are you willing to follow Jesus over to the tomb, roll the stone aside, and see what He has to say about the matter? At the tomb, Jesus said, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believe?" Hold on to hope, friend, and keep waiting and watching for Jesus to arrive. He has the power to speak resurrection to your situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment